Sunday, December 26, 2010

Thank Goodness for Winter Break (lots of reading)

So I have a lot of reading to talk about--so much that I'm going to do a quick summary and give my thoughts on each in one post. I'm on Winter Break (yay!) so all I've been doing is sleeping, eating, and reading- my three favorite things. Anyway, here's the rundown:

1. The Hunger Games Trilogy by Susanne Collins: a bleak young adult series that I thoroughly enjoyed. I'm a big fan of YA- it's easy to read, and most of the time it's fun and entertaining. This is certainly much better than Twilight, although not quite as awesome as Harry Potter. The themes are quite mature, however. I would definitely recommend- and Target has the entire series for a reasonable price.

2. Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer: continuing in the bleak reading theme, this nonfiction follows the story of Chris McCandless as he gives up a comfortable life, disappears off the grid, and journeys across America, eventually ending up heading into the bush near Denali National Park in Alaska. It's an interesting read, if a bit graphic and gut wrenching at times.

3. Songbook by Nick Hornby: I started this blog with a post about Nick Hornby's book about reading; this book follows in the same tradition, though it's focus is on music and how it relates to life and the memories a particular song can hold. It's a nice read, though if you don't know the songs, it can seem a bit tedious.

4. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Steig Larsson: I'll spare you another long winded post about my love for Larsson's Millennium trilogy and simply say: I LOVE THESE BOOKS. I finally got to finish the last one, and it was great. Just like the others, it was suspenseful, well written, and the details were amazing.

I hope everyone is having a lovely holiday! I'll be back soon with another combo movie/book post. Until then, Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment