Tuesday, January 18, 2011

They Things They Took (The Book Thief by Markus Zusak)

It took me a few days to pick up another book after Edgar Sawtelle, and, although I searched for something with a happy ending, I had a really hard time. So I chose The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I had recommended it to my friend David before the holidays, and I thought I better read it again and refresh my memory. Unfortunately, my copy had disappeared! So I went to Target and bought another one. I first read this book a little over a year and a half ago, and I haven't been able to get it out of my head. It's technically a young adult novel, but I can enjoy a little YA every now and then. And, in my opinion, the themes in this book are very mature and only suitable for almost-adults.

Anyway, the story takes place during World War II and centers around a young German girl, Liesel, who has safe hair but not safe eyes, and who is sent to live with foster parents. It's a rather complicated plot, and it involves the thieving of several books (which, in Liesel's case, I approve of wholeheartedly), and it is simply a wonderful book.

I do enjoy historical fiction immensely (I did grow up reading the American Girl books), and this is a very well done historical novel. After a second reading, I definitely recommend it to anyone who has an interest in WWII, like historical fiction, or simply likes to read.

I know that was a short post, particularly after my loooooong ones about Edgar Sawtelle, but there will be more soon. Until then, Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment